Monday, April 5, 2010

Miracles do happen..

Facebook can be a very wonderful, useful tool when it comes to finding someone. Someone you've never met. 

My biological father (Gary) had a son, he's my half brother. His name is Adrian and that's all I knew.
Until now..

I finally decided to look him up, I wasn't sure if he had the same last name as Gary so, I just hoped. 

I had no idea what he looked like but, I found a boy that might be him,
 so I sent him a message:
"You don't know me but, my name is Ashley and I think we might be related, as crazy as that sounds! I was wondering if your dad is Gary Parke? My grandma is Janet Leile Parke and Gary is my biological father. Let me know, I'd love to hear from you!"

I got a response the next day:
"He is my dad, I think I may know u. Oh my gosh, I believe u could be my sister I have a very faint image of u so long ago and my mother saying a sister of mine whos name was Ashley."

Wow, what do you do in a situation like this? I'm so excited!

I finally saw a photo of him and there are a few similarities between us. I've never had brothers or sisters that look like me and I think Adrian is the closest I've got. He lives in Oregon, is 18 years old and has a girlfriend named Amber. This is all I know about him so far. We have been writing back and forth so I'm hoping to get to know him better. The only person I really know on my dads side of the family is my grandmother. I don't remember anyone else, although my aunts and uncle are very kind and email me once in a while. It really means a lot that they care about me. Especially my grandma Janet. She has faithfully written me my entire life, once every two months or so and a birthday card is always a guarantee from her. I'm finding myself wanting to know more and more about this whole other family that I have. I've always only been around my moms side of the family but, I have another family that has the other half of my genes. Where does my shyness come from? Definitely not from my mom, she's the most outgoing person I know! I'm sure it's from my dad. I love to cook, my mom hates to cook. I love to read, my mom would rather be dancing or talking on the phone. I love the arts (hence, my work). I just wonder where I got half of my personality from. I hope to meet this side of my family someday. I also would like my children to know them as well. Someday. Hopefully sooner than later.